I want to be better. I know my colleagues do too. We’ve sat around dinner tables together sharing ideas and planning ways to improve our teaching through our many years together.
I want to be better. I saw this tweet from Will Chamberlain and thought it was so important, I retweeted it and took a snapshot of it.
I want to be better. So I spend time reading, searching, discussing, learning, taking webinars, joining groups, and trying new technologies that just might ignite that spark of personal learning for them. Because that’s where we’re headed: personalized or personal learning.
My summer time on my own is my personal learning, but it is really for my family, my classroom, my students, and my peers. It’s because I want to be better.
I need to be better. I need to be ready.
- I learned how to create ePubs for iPads. I can create lessons for students, or teach students to create ePubs for each other or younger students.
- I joined Digital Is to learn more about Digital Writing for my reading and writing classes.
- I joined and participate in P2PU in the Digital Literacy group, again to learn more about and connect with digital educators. P2PU are sponsoring a presentation created by myself and my “connected educator colleague” Denise Krebs called Extend the Conversation. Denise and I have only met through blogging, tweeting, and Google Plus hangouts, yet we have also collaborated with each other and our students, and are planning for this presentation.
- I joined and am presenting for Connected Educator Month, which also has an active group in P2PU
- I am taking a PBLU class recommended to me by my colleague Tracy Watanbe so I can better implement our Tech Plan with Problem/Project based learning. I’m excited about the project I’m working on because it relates to Angela Maiers #choose2matter project, which I also joined.
I want to be better. I need to be ready, and I #choose2matter.
I know my colleagues have been learning and thinking and resting too. I hope they share their learning with others. And just in case some of you need a quick refresher of what’s happening at Connected Educator Month, here are a few places you can go, courtesy of my P2PU Connected Educator Group. Which one will you attend?
- Tues., Aug. 7, 9:00pm Eastern – Steve Hargadon interviews Lee Rainie from the PEW Foundation on his book, “Networked: The New Social Operating System.”
- Thurs., Aug. 9, noon Eastern – “Connected Learning” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 9, 2:00pm Eastern – “Organize Your School’s Content with a Wiki” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 9, 4:00pm Eastern – “How Schools Are Using iPads to Increase Student Learning” webinar
- Mon., Aug. 13, 2:00pm Eastern – “Personalized Learning Through Student Response” webinar
- Wed., Aug. 15, 2:00pm Eastern – “Epic-ed Open House” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 16, 11:00am Eastern – “Skype in the Classroom” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 16, noon Eastern – “Data and the Cloud: Why?” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 16, 2:00pm Eastern – “One Size Does Not Fit All: Two Perspectives on Digital Transition” webinar
- Tues., Aug. 21, 10:00am Eastern – ” Intel Teachers Engage Virtual Museum Resources: The Google Art Project” webinar
- Tues., Aug. 21, 5:00pm Eastern – “Using Free Resources to Create Blended Learning Experiences for Students” webinar
- Thurs., Aug. 23, 4:00pm Eastern – “Measuring the Educational Value of Games: How to Be a Better Advocate for GBL” webinar
- Common Core Lesson-a-Thon-31 in 31 (Edmodo group; requires an Edmodo account)
- Tues., Aug. 7, 11:00am Eastern – edWeb.net Webinar: Summer Questions & Reflections on CC Math Practices: Best Resources for the CCSS
- Wed., Aug. 29, 4:30pm Eastern – Building a Pacing Calendar with Common Core Standards
Please remember this is a school-related site. Model digital citizenship. Thank you.
Geeky Gramma ~~
Retired Middle School Language Arts Teacher ~~
Writer and Thinker